AGree: Transforming Food & Ag Policy is a strategic bipartisan response to the challenge of feeding a growing global population healthy and nutritious food while conserving natural resources and sustaining producers’ livelihoods. With support from leading U.S. foundations, the Meridian Institute brought together leaders from food and agriculture, conservation, public health, nutrition, rural development, and international development to grapple with the big questions facing our food system. AGree bridged a number of divides—rural and urban, conventional and organic, hunger and nutrition—to develop consensus recommendations that elevate food and agriculture as a national priority.
AGree co-chairs and advisors developed roadmaps for policy and programmatic innovation. With Meridian’s support, they consulted over 2,300 people to identify key opportunities for reform. Together, we developed consensus recommendations and policy ideas related to:
- Food & Nutrition: Cultivating Healthy Communities
- Immigration Reform: Achieving a Stable, Legal Workforce
- International Development: Promoting Development through Food and Agriculture
- Local Food: Revitalizing Community-based Food Systems
- Research & Innovation: Strengthening Agricultural Research
- Working Landscapes: Achieving Productivity, Profitability, and Environmental Outcomes